Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Attachment Issues In Six Yr Old Min Pin?

I have a six year old min pin who I have had since he was a puppy. He is, to say least, very vocal. He has a noise for almost every action and I can't say I'm displeased by this because it can be incredibly cute(he snorts when he is happy) but recently he has become even more vocal and aggressive.





He usually only exhibits the behavior around certain people. My boyfriend, any tall men, any tall women. These people can have done him no harm and he still cries and whines if touched, picked up, walked, or even motioned at as if you were going to let him sniff your hand.





My boyfriend has told me on more than one occasion, after leaving the house he will sit and cry then go lay down inside the bath tub. Another time he crawled in a small space between my dresser and the wall and just growled.





He has always been a little snappy and sort of spunky dog so but lately he just doesn't seem to want to be with anyone but me and I don't know what to do about it.





I've taken him to the vet(within the past week)and he does have a small cyst between his toes that is currently being treated, he has had those for a few years now a a one he sometimes refuses to walk on.





Could it be the pain that is causing him to react this way? My vet said he sounded pretty normal in that he wanted mommy and he was limping on his paw but I don't understand why he is crying constantly when other people do the same things i do to him(pick him up, pet him, cuddle with him) and he's fine.





Anyone know what could be going on with my baby and how I could possibly help him?





Thanks!Attachment Issues In Six Yr Old Min Pin?
Your dog is playing you. Minpins can be great social dogs, eager to meet anyone and fearless to boot. However, if they are NOT constantly socialized, and they are allowed behaviors that are not desirable, they can turn into little manipulative monsters.


There is no reason why you should be picking the dog up, or having other people pick the dog up. They may be small, but they still have four legs. Picking the dog up and carrying it around causes aggression.


Has this dog had any obedience training? Just because they are small and cute, doesn't mean they won't take complete advantage of their owners, and it sounds like this is what is going on here.


There is also no reason for your dog to ever be ';snappy';. That is an undesirable behavior that you have allowed for six years. It is also the behavior that gives Minpins a bad reputation.


I suggest that you enroll your dog in an adult obedience class and teach him what is and is not allowed in your home. You will then have a well-balanced, well behaved, and social dog that you can be proud of.





Cysts in between the toes should not be causing pain, but drama gets mom to coddle and pet every time!
  • Faratech
  • coolest myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment